Growing up as a vegetarian, everyone would always ask me how I got my protein. As a kid I never really focused on it much and I always seemed to be healthy so I didn’t worry. Now that I’m 3 months pregnant I think about protein every day. I know how important it is to get the right amount of protein to not only curb the effects of pregnancy nausea, but to also grow a healthy baby. Most pregnancy books I have read suggest that you consume between 90-100 grams of protein every day! With that high mark to hit every day I had to think of some recipes that I actually enjoyed that would help. My dad’s famous vegetarian chili recipe was the perfect solution. There are also tons of B vitamins and fiber to also help with the symptoms of pregnancy. For those that need a less spicy alternative because of pregnancy heartburn, you can either omit, or lessen the amount of chili powder and tabasco sauce and only include 1 chopped jalapeno. When you remove the jalapeño seeds before chopping you get rid of most of the heat and it is a little easier to bear.
- 5 Tbs Olive Oil
- 10 Cloves Crushed Garlic
- 2 Medium Onions chopped
- 2 Green Peppers chopped
- 2 Red Peppers chopped
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers chopped (remove the seeds before chopping)
- 2 28-oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans Kidney Beans
- 2 cans Black Beans
- 1 can yellow Corn
- 2 cans vegetarian Refried Beans
- 2 T Sea Salt
- 1 T Dark Chili Pepper
- 2 T Cumin
- 12 splashes of green tabasco sauce
- 1 can of Beer (alcohol cooks out)
- Tortilla chips
- Chopped avocado
- Sour cream
- Sauteed, cubed tofu
- Saute onion and peppers with oil in a large pot for 5 mins or until onions are translucent.
- Add in tomatoes, all beans, and refried beans. Cook for another 5 mins.
- Stir in seasonings, tabasco and beer then simmer for about 30 mins.
- Garnish as desired.
PRESSURE COOKER: Turn pressure cooker on and keep pot open to heat oil. Add garlic and onion and saute for a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients, lock lid and close valve. Set to soup setting for 10 minutes, let naturally release.