I LOVE Coffee Cake…and its been years and years since I have made it, but recently I had a memory of it, which lead to a craving, which made me really want to make it again, especially for my kids to try coffee cake! Instead of a big cake I made it into muffins and they all loved it. Even this morning my son woke up and asked if we could make coffee muffins again. So we totally did.
Coffee Cake is a savory cake with a sweet crumbly topping. It pairs so perfectly with a nice hot cup of hot cocoa. Because the cake part is more savory than sweet I like to add berries to the batter. It adds a whole other dimension to the cakes. A sweet, juicy tang in a hot, fluffy muffin. My kids love the blueberries too, they’ll eat anything with blueberries in it!
In previous years I used the bisquick recipe on the box, but it’s no longer on the box! and, I feel the recipe needed to be altered just a bit for the muffins. Guys, this recipe is so fast and easy! They threw together fast enough even on a busy school morning. It just takes a little bit of planning to make sure you allow enough cooking time. I just make lunches and sign homework during those moments. #momlife
- 2 cups bisquick
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 TBS sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries optional
- 1/4 cup bisquick
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 TBS sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 TBS cold butter
- preheat oven to 350
- Mix bisquick, milk, egg and sugar until well combined. Stir in blueberries.
- Fill cupcakes half full with batter. they will rise quite a bit!
- In a separate bowl combine topping ingredients. Cut with pastry cutter or two knives until crumbly.
- Sprinkle on top of batter.
- Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.
- Makes 12 standard muffins