Doesn’t fall make you want to stay inside, bake delicious things, and get fat for the winter?
I only make these beauties in the fall. They are a special treat we look forward to…and they are definitely an indulgence!
Peanut Butter cups in the batter, chocolate peanut butter ganache, and more peanut butter cups as garnish! Sinfully delicious.
Theses are a semi-homemade treat because you start with a cake mix – I love a shortcut with gourmet results!
I couldn’t even make it through the photo shoot without taking a bite of one of these guys…
- 1 devils food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped peanut butter cups - plus another cup or so for garnishing
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Mix cake mix, eggs, sour cream, water, milk & oil with a hand or stand mixer on slow for 30 seconds until combined.
- Scrape down the sides and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter cups.
- Fill 24 cupcake liners with 1/4 cup of the mixture. A trick I like to use to ensure that all cupcakes are the same size is to fill them using an ice cream scoop as a measuring cup. I hate it when I end up with big overflowing cupcakes and small ones that don't even reach the top of the cup - and this puts an end to that problem!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 19 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Top with ganache (recipe below) and peanut butter cups. I usually just put a heaping spoonful onto each cupcake and let it drip off the edges. The ganache will firm up after a few minutes at room temperature. Store in an airtight container.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small heavy sauce pan heat the cream just to boiling.
- Pour hot cream of top of chocolate chips and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in peanut butter.