October and Halloween always make me crave chili. My Grandma always made this at Halloween time and now we make it every year on Halloween.
My Grandma’s chili was always the best…so 7 years ago I called her up and asked her for the recipe. She was very matter of fact in her response – “always double your meat, and always use tomato juice instead of tomato sauce, the sauce is too sweet.”
I did just that and came up with this EASY tasty chili. This is a cinch to whip up, and the results are fool proof. I’ve even won chili cook offs with this chili.
Load it up with toppings, or eat it in its pure form – both are delicious!
ALSO goes perfectly with these Cheesy Cornbread Muffins
Chili Con Carne
- 2 LB lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 15 oz cans of chili beans in mild sauce
- 1 cup (give or take) tomato juice - more or less depending on how thick you prefer your chili
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp flour
- Brown your beef along with the onion until cooked through.
- Drain the fat and transfer to a 5 qt crock pot.
- Add chili beans, along with liquids in the can.
- Add tomato juice
- Add remaining seasonings
- Cook on high for 1 hour and then turn to low for 4 hours. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Serve with saltine crackers, cheese, sour cream, onions, bacon or whatever else you like on your chili.