I’ve had a long time love for boston cream pie. I remember during college my co-workers would run down to the local grocery story and buy one for me on my birthday. I’ve also been known to have a few Yoplait boston cream pie flavored yogurts in my fridge too!
The other day I got a craving for boston cream pie in a bad way. I thought about it for days. Literally days. And then something wonderful happened. My friend had a birthday! So I whipped up a batch of boston cream cupcakes to give to her, and I selfishly kept a few for myself. ;)
I used Aubrey’s every occasion white cake recipe – but you could use a white cake mix for a semi-homemade recipe with fantastic results.
For the filling I used vanilla instant pudding. I made up a batch while my cupcakes were baking and it was set by the time the cupcakes had cooled. Place pudding in a pastry bag fitted with a pastry tip. Once cupcakes are cooked, insert the pastry tip into each cupcake and squeeze about a tablespoon of pudding into each one. The chocolate ganache will cover the hole.
Finish off with homemade ganache and chill in the fridge until served. Boston Cream Pie made easy, in an individual size.
- Aubrey's Every Occasion White Cake, prepared for cupcakes
- 1 box vanilla instant pudding, prepared per instructions
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Prepare cake batter per instructions. Fill each cupcake liner 1/2 way full of batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 16-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- While cupcakes are baking prepare pudding per instructions on the box. Place pudding into a pastry bag, fitted with a pastry tip.
- To fill cupcakes insert tip into the top of each cupcake and squeeze about a tablespoon of pudding into each one.
- For ganache heat cream over medium heat until simmering. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips. Let sit for 2 minutes. Whisk until smooth.
- Spoon ganache on to each cupcake.
- Chill in fridge until served.